Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Hip Hop or Not?


As a die hard Hip Hop junkie, I am sometimes faced with difficult radio choices when I'm tuned into the dial in the whip. Hip Hop always takes precedent, but over the past few years that mantra has been extremely tested. My listening ears will be more prone to 80's bubblegum pop rather than the rash of ringtone rap that permeates the airwaves. I'll switch to some 90's alternative if the only choice is to wipe it down or party like a rock star. This morning I was faced with a dilemma, which I have dubbed... 'Hip Hop or Not?'

My two choices were Wreckx N Effect's "Rump Shaker" or Journey's "Faithfully."

I ain't gonna front, I had the cassette single for "Rump Shaker" back in early 93. I always liked Lafayette Afro Rock Band’s “Darkest Light” sample first heard on Public Enemy's "Show Em Whatcha Got" that provided the signature horns. But damn, the song is mad corny. Zoom a zoom a zoom zoom? There's not too much difference from that jibberish from the cat hairball rap on your FM dial today.

I ain't gonna front, Journey's Steve Perry has always caught my ear as having one helluva set of pipes. Some ultra personal lyrics about the struggles of being on the road and apart from your loved ones, it can choke some tough guys up. The piano riff and his vocals and of course the video reek of the early 1980s. Of course, the early 80s were some of the height of cheesiness in American pop culture. Nice mustache, Steve, and then he shaves it off in the video! Wow.

I am faced with a difficult choice, Teddy Riley's post New Jack Swing one hit wonder, or the first group to have their own Atari 2600 video game? As with most music, much of the debate comes down to The Commish's memories of his days gone by with the songs. "Rump Shaker" brings back swigging on a Keystone Light, rocking a No Fear hooded flannel, trying to push up on some honey with a skin tight body suit, talking about the 19Naughty3 and Martin. When "Faithfully" was hitting, Commish was tricking out his Huffy with a playing card and a clothes pin, cutting his dogs' whiskers with rounded scissors, and begging his Moms for Voltron toys.

The preset lands on "Rump Shaker," sorry Steve... and a zoom zoom.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that Journey tune always reminds me of the burn outs on my block way back making out with some feathered hair freak in their TransAm. They would do it everyday! Me and my buddy one day hid in some bushes, wadded up wet toliet paper and absolutley pummelled his car while he was trying to get some from her. He got out in his jean jacket and was tripping. Wonder what he's doing now?

8:34 AM  
Blogger Broz said...

Tough call. On the one hand its some "Rump Shaker" which gets the ladies moving at a club. However, Journey in the mid-80s was like musical panty remover. I go with Steve Perry and his pube-stache.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to pick Journey over any of that Hip Hop crap. Why?
Because McNichols Arena and the Idaho Springs tunnels are in the video.

Mr Colorado Native

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to go with those Rump Shaker guys, that Steve guy is a damn stalker.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home